Friday, February 12, 2010

Much Needed

It is amazing to me how sometimes we have one experience right after another that we really need and then there just don't seem like there are any for a while.

One of the great experiences I have had lately is that I have just finished reading the book "The Undaunted". It is very good. I encourage all of you to read it. It is a long book but I learned so much and really enjoyed it too. I know one thing, I am glad that I was not a pioneer woman. I really enjoyed the history that was in this book about the " Hole in the Rock", and there was also history about Cedar City, Parowan, and Panguitch. It was great.
I also had the great experience to go to EFY with our stake in my church, which is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. EFY is for the youth of our church. Two of my own kids were able to attend. It was last Saturday and it was early. I was not looking forward to getting up early on a Saturday, but it was well worth it. There were about 700 or so youth there with their leaders to hear these three speakers. I knew it would be good but we were really in for a treat. The speakers were saying things that I felt pierced my heart and that they were just for me. Todd and Angela also were touched. They really felt uplifted. There are sometimes things that are said that you will never never forget. One thing I learned is that we need to be better than good. This really made me think. I know I have a lot of room to grow and I need to not be complacent but always looking for ways to strengthen my testimony and to improve who I am and the things that I should be doing.
My son, AJ, that is on his mission also has challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in 50 days and to also underline any place where it talks about the Savior in any way. I have been doing that now for 3 weeks and it is hard to read eight pages a night but my testimony of my Savior and the scriptures has so been strengthened. I love it.
I also had a great experience yesterday. I have been needing to go to the temple as we all do and finally found some time to make the drive. When I arrived in St. George and went into the temple there was an hour and a half wait for initiatories. I knew that wasn't going to work because Karrilyn was waiting in the car. They asked if I would like to do sealings. Sure, I said. What a great experience. What a great valentine experience for me, to be reminded of the promises that I have by being sealed to my spouse for time and all eternity. This is a gift that I am ever ever so thankful for. I wish I could express the happiness and peace this gives me. The spirit was so strong in those beautiful sealing rooms as we did sealings for people that have passed onto the other side. I really enjoyed every minute of it and I am so thankful for this blessing in my life.
I guess I should also that I am teaching primary in my ward and I just LOVE it. There is nothing better than being in there with those cute kids. I have the 5-6 yr olds. They are so cute and want nothing more than to do what is right, and they teach me so much about life, our Savior and how we should be.

Enough about all of that, I hope it isn't boring you to tears but this is my way to keep a journal of things that are important to me. Thanks to all of you who care. You are appreciated.

6 comments:

Erin said...

My husband went to that EFY with his YM (he is the president). They all loved it! I'm so glad you have had experiences that are helping you right now.

Heatherlyn said...

Not boring. I love what you shared about EFY. I am excited that my kids are finally starting to be old enough to go. I think the youth programs are amazing (for the youth but also for the adults who are able to participate)!

alpinekleins said...

Thank you for this inspiring post - it was just what I needed to hear today. I LOVED "Undaunted", I cried, I laughed - it was such a great book. I love Lake Powell and I took it with me last summer on our trip to Lake Powell where we climbed Hole in the Rock. Don't know HOW they ever came down through there. It was a miracle.

((hugs))

Kristin

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

What a great post! And there is nothing more spiritually rejuvenating than time with the Youth and especially at EFY!!!

Lara Neves said...

I am very glad that you have been uplifted lately. I know you are having a hard time with AJ gone, but the Lord is finding ways to bless your life as AJ blesses lives in Ohio.

I will have to read that book, it sounds wonderful!

Sherrie said...

I have been wanting to read that book. But not living in Utah anymore makes is a little more tricky in getting my hands on LDS authored books. Guess I will have to buy online. I am so glad you have been uplifted in so many ways lately. Thanks for sharing this post. It has given me the inspiration to do better in many areas.