Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My diet and other randomness

This week has been very crazy. I am so sorry that I haven't posted, but school has been very busy and stressful. It is so hard to have a growing family and go to school full time too and keep my house up.

Texting- Anyway, to all of those wanting to know if we decided to get texting or not for Todd, yes we did!!! Thanks for your input. I told Todd that we were going to try it for one week and if for any time, texting begins to overcome his life then we would cancel it. We also made him and his sister help pay for it. One of the things that has a big deciding fact in this matter is that we receive texts all the time anyway even though we don't have texting, because I am going to school and friends from school text me about assignments and Karrilyn also has friends that text her, so we end up paying for those texts anyway. Wish us luck!!! I really think Todd won't abuse this, because he is such a good kid and I can't see him texting all day and night. We will see.

Diet( new way of life)Next thing on my mind, I have been on a diet(a way of life change) now for almost four weeks. It has been hard, but I have a great husband that also did it with me. I can't believe that he put up with it. Yes, we actually paid for a new diet plan that is out there and it really worked and helped quite a lot. If you are really interested, let me know and I can give you some information on it. It is definitely not for everyone.

The good news is that my husband lost 18 pounds and I lost 12 pounds. I was really thinking that I would have lost more, but I must be getting old. You are told that you do have the possibility of losing between 10-30 pounds, so of course, I am on the tail end of the weight loss. I guess I should add that I lost the weight in the first three weeks on the diet and the last week has just been a stabilization, but you are still pretty much on a diet but it is less strict. It is supposed to help you to not gain back what you have already lost. The other good news is that I feel great. We both had our blood drawn before and then again after and it lowered my cholesterol 45 points and also my blood sugar. It lowered my husband's too but not as much as we had hoped.

Would I do this again if I knew what I know now? yes, I probably would. I have learned a lot and I really think it has helped me to change how I live and how I eat. I haven't had any sugar for almost four weeks, that is just part of it but it does feel good.

School-The last thing on my mind is that I just can't believe how close I am to being finished with school. The end of this month I will be finished and then all I have is student teaching in the Fall. I am so excited but I will truly miss all of the friends that I see all day every day. It will be sad too.

I definitely need some fun ideas for this Summer down here in southern Utah. If you have any ideas let me know.

23 comments:

Erin said...

Good for you on your diet!

I need summertime ideas too...

I hope to see you this Saturday!

Kristina P. said...

Congrats on your weightloss!

I was just looking at some pics taken last night, and there's nothing to motivate you to lose weight than doing that!

humming fun said...

Yes you should tell more. Is it the cowboy diet? :)

Jared, Marla, Jayden, Cailey, Rylee and Lexi said...

My next door neighbor is on her first year of teaching (she teaches 3rd grade), her husband graduates in 2 weeks then he will be teaching also...they are just loving it. I'm hoping to do that eventually also but for now im just loving being a mom while they are little. Congrats and good luck. Have a great week, yay it's almost over.

Emily said...

Congratulations on the diet going well. I've always found the best way to stick to the plan is take it one day at a time. Don't think bout it in terms of losing 30 pounds, that can be overwhelming. Just take it one meal at a time and make a careful decision each time you walk into the kitchen.There's a great book coming out in April called the Power of Small that is really helpful with tips like this, I've really enjoyed it. The Power of Small is by Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Sounds like some good things are happening in your life! That helps me with my motivation - thanks!
:~D

Lara Neves said...

Kathy, don't forget your thyroid issues. Becky Greer said that she lost very slowly because of her thyroid, so you did great! And it's always harder for women than men.

I remember when Joel and I went on weight watchers and I lost 10 pounds and just got stuck, which is what always happens to me on most diets. He lost 45 pounds. (Of course, we both put it all back on again....)

* said...

Congrats on being so close to finishing school. A huge accomplishment!

PS: Ideas for southern UT? How about come to Vegas for the day! There are lots of bloggin' mamas here and we could set up a lunch date or something! lmk!

PPS: found you on MM blogs!

Michelle said...

12 pounds is 12 pounds less than you were!!! :) Congrats! I'm sure you feel better.

I finished my teaching degree when I was pregnant With #2 and my oldest was 3. It was hard, but worth it!! And you are almost done--yay :)

BTW--I live in Clark Co. Idaho, not Nevada. A lot colder here than Nevada!!

Anna said...

Ideas for the summer- Zions. Zions, and more Zions. Pine Valley, Cedar Breaks(Alpine Pond), Navajo Lake, Sand Hollow Reservoir, Red Cliffs Park, Snow Canyon. Veyo Pool and rock climbing, Sand Hollow Aquatic Center. Tuacahn. Shakespeare Festival. All of this within a one hour drive or less!! (Can you tell what I want to be doing right about now?) I love Southern UT!

Fiauna said...

12 pounds on four weeks is awesome! Keep up the good work.

Okay, the word verification on this is gyntest. Umm.... Who thought of this one???

Jake and Stephanie Perrin said...

Congrats on the weightloss!! What diet did you do??? Yeah for being done with school next month!! Student Teaching should be fun. Where are you doing it at?? Do you know yet?? Take care

Cyndie said...

I love being able to keep up with you this way!
Congratulations on your weight loss. 12 pounds in 4 weeks is great, I think.
As for ideas of things to do during the summer. Hiking. We love it and do it all summer long. There's a great (free) hike in Kanarraville, there's Zion, and there are a lot of cool hikes up on Cedar Mountain also.

tammy said...

Sounds like the diet I'm going to start soon. I'm hoping for at least 15, but would like 20!

Kristy said...

Congrats on the diet/weightloss. It's so hard when you get older and I'm only 30! Don't you wish you could go back to your younger years and really appreciate how good you really looked and how easy it was to eat whatever and still loose weight? I do...

School...I love school. You will miss it when your done, but think of all the time you will have! And think of what you have accomplished. Good job!

midRae said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Now please, please let me in on the secret. I have been stuck for 1 1/2yrs. Would love a boost. Email me at munkfam@infowest.com. Thanks and love your blog.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Your weight loss is fantastic!

I knew your son would do fine with the texting:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your diet success! That's awesome.

Sherrie said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and for almost being done with school. What wonderful accomplishments they both are for you. Do you know where you will be teaching yet? Good luck with everything. YOu deserve the very BEST!

-Melissa- said...

Congrats on the weight loss and almost being done with school! That is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when you can see actual progress in your life. Sometimes it just amazes me to look back and see that I've accomplished something I thought would never be finished!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I just posted about diets on my blog...just to be funny!! Please don't be offended because really, I think that is so simply smashing that you were able to do so well on yours! Congrats!!!

susette said...

Oh Kathy you gotta share your secrets. I went seven days without sugar then crashed!!

I totally loved our lunch together in Cedar. You are so beautiful. I enjoyed our conversations and admire you so much. I knew I would love you as much in person as in the blogging world.

For sure when you come up North let's get together again. That would be sweet!