Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just a pair of shoes

During this school year I was in a class where we were required to write about a pair of shoes that we have had through the years. We had to let someone else read it and draw a picture of how they think the shoes actually looked. It was quite interesting. I have always enjoyed writing, but I know that I am not in any means a writer but I have had a few people say how much they enjoyed this paper.
I thought I would share it with you.

You could say that I am a pair of shoes, but not just any pair of shoes. I am a very sturdy pair of white with orange striping on them. I am the best pair of running shoes that you could want. Brand is always important especially when you are a running shoe and my brand is Asics. I am a very comfortable pair of running shoes that just never quits going. My soles are so worn that there is not much traction left. I am definitely not as nice looking as I have been in the years past, but I guess that is good because that means I have been used and loved.

In the past few years, my life has been very exciting and eventful. There are many days when I just think I can’t go on, but I am made for what I do so at least I am being used. Each morning as the sun rises, my owner gathers me out of her closet and begins to put me on her feet. She grabs her jacket, her heart monitor, and a drink of water and we are off. At first we would just walk and walk and walk, but as my life has gone on, things have drastically changed. I thought 4 miles of walking was plenty, but we were up to running nine miles before I knew it. It is not as easy as it looks to be a pair of shoes and carry around a human and try to give them the comfort and protection that they need. I am always excited when we get to the end of the nine miles, because we really start to slow down and then we walk. I am pretty tuckered out by then. We have covered a lot of territory the two of us, but I was to the point where I knew that I had been overused.

What am I supposed to do? I decided there was nothing else to do. I had to let her know that she needed a new pair of shoes, so I began to crunch up on her toes and she began to get blisters and she even lost her big toenail. Ouch!!! I know, but finally it did work and now I am left to rest in the closet and I am only used every once in a while. She finally gave in and bought a new pair. I know they probably aren’t as good as me, but they will have to work.

17 comments:

Kristi T. said...

I loved it! Now please explain to me why there is a tear in my eye? I guess I just have issues with moving on. Your poor shoes had just had too much and needed a rest. I feel like your old pair of shoes. I need a rest! Thanks for sharing I am sure I wouldn't have done so well on my paper.

Kristina P. said...

I did one of those Interet quizzes, and it said I was a loafer. It was so depressing.

Your mini essay was so much better.

Jared, Marla, Jayden, Cailey, Rylee and Lexi said...

That was just awesome, I don't know about being able to draw a picture as I am no artist. But, I could definitely get a visual. It made me think about my many pairs of shoes and the journey they've taken with me thru life.

Michelle said...

my husband has a hard time getting rid of his "worn out" (really loved) shoes. He thinks the way your wrote your paper--they all are attached to you! :)

you are an inspiration w/your walking--I am walking 2 miles (w/my 2 little ones in the stroller) and my goal is to start running next summer :)

Fiauna said...

9 miles? Wow. I've never stopped to think about how my shoes might feel. Hmm ...

Melissa said...

I enjoyed your shoe story...Thanks for sharing it.

Erin said...

I am so impressed that you are running/exercising so much! Good for you!

Lara Neves said...

Great essay! So, how did the person do with the drawing rendition of your running shoes?

Just SO said...

What a great essay!

Rebecca Talley said...

I've never thought of my shoes like this.

And, 9 miles--wow. You are a woman!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you got an A on that one. It's beautiful.

I have a feeling those shoes aren't done yet :)

Heatherlyn said...

What a fun post! I didn't realize that shoes did that to us on purpose to send a message!

Audrey said...

well written. Running nine miles? I don't think that I could ever do that!

alpinekleins said...

I've always believed there's a story that goes along with all a woman's shoes! Great post - I think we'd all have a fun one to share and it's a great subject for a post.

Kristin

~The Anderson's~ said...

Oh the shoe stories!!! Classic! Everything is going great here student teaching! I sure do miss you guys though! I hope all is well and that your summer is going good!!

Rae said...

Beautiful--and I'm sitting here wondering why YOU aren't running the marathon with me this year?!

-Melissa- said...

Loved the shoe story. 9 miles? Wow! Good for you!