In the past few weeks, Mike and I have tried some great recipes for dutch oven cooking that
we just love and I wanted to share them with you. It is so nice in the summer to cook outside and to have a great yummy meal. We are so lucky to have a Volcano that we can put our dutch ovens on with the briquets and then cook the food in our dutch ovens. If you have never tried dutch oven I encourage you to try it out. I love it.
Here are a few recipes:
Dutch Oven Potatoes
(This is a big recipe so we just cut it in half unless you are feeding a large group)
10 lbs of potatoes sliced 1 small bag onions
2 lbs bacon 2 lbs sausage
1 can Cream of Chicken soup 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
Prepare charcoal( 50 pieces for Dutch oven cooking, un less you are halfing the recipe then you won't need as many)
1. Rub the inside of the Dutch oven with oil.
2. Place 15 pieces of charcoal under the oven and 35 pieces on top of each oven used.
3. When ovens are hot cook the bacon, sausage and onions, or you can cook them in a pan before hand in a pan on your stove.
4. When bacon, sausage, and onions are cooked remove them from the ovens.
5. Layer the potatoes with the bacon, sausage and onions mixture in each Dutch oven evenly or you can mix every thing up all together.
6. Replace lid and cook for 30 min. Check. If potatoes are cooked top with cheese and replace lid. Cook until cheese has melted. If potatoes are not done cook and additional 10 min before topping with cheese.
7. Adjustments in cooking might be necessary and this recipe can be made in a normal oven if desired.
Cheesy Chicken Breasts
8 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
1/2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 lb Muenster cheese, grated or cheddar cheese
1 cup chicken broth
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
Dip chicken breasts in egg, then roll in bread crumbs or breading. Brown the chicken in a buttered skillet. Place in a 14" dutch oven. Top with mushrooms and grated cheese. Pour broth over chicken and bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until golden brown. Use 10-12 briquettes on top and 10-12 briquettes on bottom. This can also be cooked in a conventional oven at 350 degrees. Serves eight.
These recipes are delicious. Try them out.