Friday, December 5, 2008

Remember the reason

This has become a favorite poem for the Christmas season and I wanted to share it with all of you

Twas the night before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas
and all through the town
Not a sign of Baby Jesus
was anywhere to be found

The people were all busy
with Christmas time chores
Like decorating and baking,
and shopping in stores.

No one sang " Away in a manger,
no crib for a bed."
Instead, they sang of Santa
dressed up in bright red.

Mama watched Martha Stewart,
Papa drank soda from a tap.
As hour upon hour
the presents they'd wrap

When what from the TV
did they suddenly hear?
'Cept and ad. which told
of a big sale at Sears.

So away to the mall
they all flew like a flash...
Buying things on credit... and others on cash!

And, as they made their way home
From their trip to the mall,
Did they think about Jesus?
Oh no.. not at all.

Their lives were so busy
with their Christmas time things
No time to remember
Christ Jesus, the King.

There were presents to wrap
and cookies to bake
How could they stop and remember
who died for their sake?

To pray to the Savior... they had no time to stop.
Because they needed more time
to "Shop til they dropped!"

On Walmart! On K-mart!
On Target! On Penney's!
On Hallmark! On Zales!
A quick lunch at Denny's

From the big stores downtown
to the stores at the mall
They would dash away, dash away,
and visit them all!

And up on the roof,
there arose such a clatter
As grandpa hung icicle lights
up on his brand new step ladder.

He hung lights that would flash.
He hung lights that would twirl.
Yet, he never once prayed to Jesus...
Light of the World.

Christ's eyes... how they twinkle!
Christ's Spirit... how merry!
Christ's love... how enormous!
All our burdens... He'll carry!

So instead of being busy,
overworked, and uptight
Let's put Christ back in
Christmas and enjoy
some good nights!!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!

5 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Love it.

I tried to get my shopping done early so I didn't have that stress. I think it makes a big difference.

Audrey said...

I have to admit, I do enjoy my Christmas lights. We don't do the Santa thing at our house though. Rather than Santa and snowmen to decorate our home, I collect nativity sets. I only have 5 right now, but that is what I prefer to have around my home at this time of year because it helps put our focus on the real meaning of the holiday.

Shauna said...

Awesome! Merry Christmas to you too! ♥ Hugs!

susette said...

Such a great reminder when we get caught up in all the busy-ness. Thanks Kate.

Heather said...

I love it.
Thanks for the great reminder!!